Friday, May 21, 2010

Teachers


Last Sunday was Teachers’ Day. It is good that one day a year is set aside to recognize teachers’ contributions to society at large and their role in nurturing young minds, some of whom will become future leaders in their country.

A teacher’s influence on his young charges cannot be underestimated. That is a good reason for him to ensure that he is a good role model in and out of school. In fact where young children are concerned, their teacher is someone they think the world of and to them “teacher is always right”.


It is a credit to the Chinese primary schools that their students make special cards to present to their teachers on Teachers' Day. These children are very respectful of their teachers and they usually acknowledge a teacher with a little bow and a greeting.

I recall the yesteryears when I was still in service, first as a teacher and later on as a school principal. There are many sweet memories as well as a few bitter ones.

I never wanted to be a teacher but my mother had insisted, saying there is no nobler profession for a girl than to be a teacher. Being the dutiful daughter I accepted the scholarship to train as a teacher in the UK.

It was during the teaching practices that we had in the schools in different parts of England that I began to like teaching.

Teaching keeps one’s mind alert and one has to be learning new things to impart to the students. I loved teaching English Literature to my students, both the ‘O’ level and ‘A’ level students. I enjoyed Shakespeare’s plays and D H Lawrence’s Sons & Lovers with my form six students. It gave me great pleasure to open the minds of those students who were curious and keen on acquiring knowledge.

The greatest reward of a teacher is to see his students doing well and it is humbling to feel that you have played a small part in his maturing into a useful member of society.

Indeed many of my students have done me proud and these days, I’m learning from them, especially in the area of information technology, where being gadget and computer savvy is king! The roles are reversed now. The teacher has now become a student. Learning is life long. The moment one ceases to learn and to take an active part in procuring knowledge, one can be said to be dead.

To all teachers, be proud that you are teachers for you hold the future in your hands.
TeachersSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: