Monday, September 19, 2011

How I Want To Live.

How long we can live is an unknown and we don’t have any say in it. However, how we want to live the life we have is within our control.

Have you ever considered how you want to live your life?

As you were growing up, were you able to plan what you would do when you became an adult? Or was your future mapped out by your elders?

Or were you lucky enough to pursue your dream and now live your life as you wanted?

Or did you do what your peers did?  If your friends decided to take up a certain course of study did you also do the same, simply went along with what your friends were doing?

Sometimes it is difficult not to do what your parents want you to do. If you refuse to heed their wishes it would be considered unfilial. Perhaps in these days things have changed. Parents have become more amenable to their off spring’s desire to pursue a career of his choice.  Young people these days are very lucky.

For me, I had no choice. My future was mapped out by my mother who was firmly convinced that teaching was the best profession for a girl. In those days, school was only half a day and weekends were off. There were also the school holidays.

I was pushed into a profession that I had never considered in the first place. Application forms were completed by her and when I was offered the opportunity to go for teacher training in the UK, I had no choice but to go as my mother’s heart was set on it. It was very painful for me to have to leave the sixth form to fly so far away to a distant land. I was only 17 years old and all alone in my misery and heartbreak as I had to leave my beloved behind.

Years passed and I slipped into the norm of living, working, getting married, raising children and now I’m retired, free at last to do what I want, to live the way I want, bar a few restrictions.

I want to live a life where I can enjoy the fellowship of good friends, morning golf, learning and working on my computer, enjoy good food and to travel. This is how I want to live and praise the Lord, He has blessed me with the life that I’m living now. I have all the above and two grandchildren who are such a joy, loving and filial children, as well as good siblings. My cup is full. Glory be to God.
How I Want To Live.SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: