Saturday, December 31, 2011

Goodbye 2011 and Welcome 2012.

The beginning of the year is usually a time for resolutions. One resolves to do better than in the past year. An evaluation of what has been accomplished and what has yet to be done or can be improved upon prevails in most minds.

I don’t know about you but I have decided to get rid of my lackadaisical attitude that was prevalent in 2011. Thinking back about it, I had almost missed the pleasures of a trip to Eastern Europe and another trip to Xiamen, China, all because of fear.

Age has caught up and there was the lingering fear in the background that if I made plans, what would happen if I’m not able to fulfill them because of the Grim Reaper? This held me back from making arrangements for trips to places that I wanted to visit. However, in the end I told myself that come what may, I would go ahead and book my trips. So I did and I enjoyed them tremendously.Definitely no regrets there.

For this year then, I will continue to go where the wanderlust will take me.

However, there are three things which I have resolved to adhere to, which had been very poorly managed in the previous year.

The first is discipline followed by focus and time management. No more aery faery floating. It’s time to do what I used to tell my former students to do. Make a time table and manage your time to optimize the hours you have so that the day is not wasted, ruminating and then rationalizing failure with excuses.
Once the time table is done, then discipline kicks in because one has to be disciplined to carry out the activities and to carry them out efficiently there has to be focus. I cannot afford to day dream the way I used to do or get easily distracted by little things that crop up ever so often.

There is a time for everything if one plans carefully and sticks to the plan.

For now, those are my main resolutions followed by the others like taking my medications on time, stop pigging out each time I return to Kuala Lumpur and get on the exercise bicycle daily. It’s a poor excuse to say that “You only live once”
to rationalize eating forbidden food especially when you know that it will blow your blood sugar sky high. One moment of weakness can have far reaching dire consequences.

A hefty decision but I think one that I can and must live with now.
Goodbye 2011 and Welcome 2012.SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: