Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Pain and the Joy


I don’t know if you have ever felt this way. Have you ever been in a situation where suddenly a good friend goes incommunicado and despite frequent attempts to resume communication, steadfastly resists overtures made to her?

The bewilderment, the pain of not knowing what went awry in such a good friendship is very hurtful. The sudden halt to regular get-togetherswas a shock. The not knowing whether I’ve offended and in which way makes things worse.

I simply couldn’t think of anything which I could have done to cheese her off and reluctantly I accepted that it could be a situation where a friend feels the need to keep a distance because she has outgrown the friendship. I really don’t know.

Because she is such a good and close friend I feel very sad over this. The happy memories are still there but they only sharpen the present sense of loss.

Then by chance I happened on her one day and we exchanged pleasantries. It wasn’t the time to ask the whys and why nots as she was busy and on her way somewhere but at least there was an intimation of sort that we could get together again.

To me this was a great joy, a feeling that is hard to describe.
Maybe if the meeting materialises, we could move forward from there. I do fervently hope that it will. Hope springs eternal in the human breast and a renewal of friendship is something wonderful to look forward to.
The Pain and the JoySocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: