Monday, February 21, 2011

The Joy and the Sorrow

Today is my younger sister’s 5th anniversary, five years since she left us to return to the Lord.

Yesterday was my nephew’s wedding and all family members were present at the tea ceremony. The young children, including my sister’s grandchildren whom she didn’t have the good fortune of being able to see them grow into charming little tots and to pamper.

The little girl has her lovely eyes and the little boy is a cute bundle of energy, so joyful to look at. My sister would have loved spoiling them to bits, being the loving, generous person who found joy in indulging little children and caring for them. I recall her flying all the way to Cardiff with a rocking cradle ( the bouncing sarong ) for my grandson who wouldn’t stop crying nor settle down to sleep. Her cradle resolved the problem as he lay snugly in the sarong and bounced gently to sleep.

When my granddaughter was born, she couldn’t pamper her enough, buying the prettiest dresses and headbands even though the baby had hardly any hair and having her portraits taken at a professional photographer’s. As they grew into toddlers, she would fetch them in her car to show them the monkeys and let them feed the animals. Knowing that the kids enjoyed going over road humps, she would drive on roads that have the most humps, just to hear their voices going “whoa” each time the car bumped over one.

How much more would she have loved her own grandchildren! As we watched the antics of the young children at the gathering, I could see my brother-in-law’s eyes, still missing his beloved wife very deeply and feeling the sadness that his grandchildren would never know their grandmother and what they are missing.

My younger sister whose departure has left a big hole in our hearts,is still sorely missed, especially at family gatherings. We used to be seven sisters and now there are only five of us left. Both my younger sisters were struck down in their prime by the vicious predator, Cancer.

I still feel their presence in family events, as we siblings are very close. These days we all try to be present as we are growing older and how much time there is left for us is unknown so family gatherings are to cherish and celebrate these bonds. Maureen and Girlie, I miss you both very much. In the midst of joy there is also sorrow. They say time heals but the passing of time will never diminish the sense of loss, especially in close relationships.
The Joy and the SorrowSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: