Friday, February 12, 2010

Of Mediums, Seances, Dreams & Butterflies

Do loved ones who have passed on, return or communicate with us?

I’m sure that some of us at one time or another,have wished that we could communicate with departed loved ones. We wonder where they have gone, how they are and whether they are alright. One way is through a medium.

A medium is a person who is able to communicate with spirits of the departed and he or she does so when in a trance. I would like to share some of my experiences here.

I remember as a child, attending a séance in my late grandfather’s house where a medium was requested to invite the spirit of a departed relative to speak to us. All of us were seated on the floor while the medium was on a chair. She was in a trance and she was sighing.

Then she began speaking in a strange voice to all of us. She was able to identify who we were and also asked why some were not present. I remembered this clearly because I was amazed. She was a total stranger. How could she know our names? The older adults then asked her questions which she answered.

The séance didn’t last long and after she came out of her trance, I could see that she was very tired and she had no recollection of what had happened and what she had said.

Sometimes a departed one communicates through dreams. There was a time when I was in desperate need of a housemaid as I had a very young child and I was working. I needed someone to look after her. My family members could not help as I was not living in the same town. My late maternal grandmother appeared in my dream and told me where to look for a maid. The next day, I went to the market and asked one of the vendors just as my grandma had instructed.

True enough the vendor informed me of someone who was available and where I should go to get her. Granny had come to my aid in my hour of need.

Another occasion was when she appeared in a dream and told me that she needed a walking stick and a pair of spectacles and that she felt cold. I informed my mum of this dream. No questions asked and she immediately held prayers and burnt the paper spectacles, walking stick and thick sweater so that granny would receive them in the other world. The Chinese people believe that burnt offerings of creature comforts such as a house with all the amenities and house maids, as well as cars, etc will be received by our loved ones.

Sometimes they indicate their presence through scents.
A few days after my mum’s demise, I smelt a sweet fragrance in my room and glimpsed a subtle movement. I knew it was my mum who had come to “visit”. A feeling of peace and comfort came over me as I felt her closeness.

Another instance was at the funeral rite of my late father. My siblings and I were on a boat at sea, with my brothers committing our father’s ashes to the waves. Suddenly, out of nowhere a butterfly appeared and flew around us before disappearing.


Butterflies have significance for my family. When my two grandchildren, aged one and a few months old, first returned to Malaysia from the UK, we had a reunion dinner with the rest of the family. As we were walking into the restaurant, two butterflies flew in front of us, dancing and leading the way.
Instinctively I knew they embodied the spirits of my parents who were welcoming home their great grandchildren.

Thus I firmly believe that our loved ones are always close by and they do manifest in forms which we can recognize. Sometimes they may appear in our dreams. So while death do us part, our spirits will always be close and it is only a matter of time when we will be re-united in the other dimension.
Of Mediums, Seances, Dreams & ButterfliesSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: