Sunday, March 8, 2009

Coincidence?


Alamak! Where is it? My hand had been touching my sticky neck. It was late afternoon and it had been a very hot day. I was reading the newspapers then. Suddenly I realised that my treasured jade & diamond pendant on its white gold chain was no longer round my neck .

Perhaps it had dropped off when I dashed into the garden to bring in the mop when the big raindrops fell.

I rushed into the falling rain to look for my precious pendant but no..... it wasn't there. "Perhaps it fell off in your car," offered my daughter. I rushed out to my car, looked under the seats and even in the boot as I had put my bag of fruits there after my early Sunday morning marketing. No.... it wasn't there. " Could it have fallen off in church this morning?" was another suggestion.

I sent an sms to my church pastor asking him if anyone had found my pendant. He promised to get in touch with me if he had any information.

What if it had dropped off while I was doing my marketing this morning?

Then a memory surfaced. Ten years ago, when I attended prayers at a temple for my father on his death anniversary, I had also mysteriously lost a treasured gold bangle. This was a unique bangle not only in its design but also in its composition. There were 3 types of gold, yellow gold, white gold and rose gold in that bangle. It was my favourite piece of jewellery. I was wearing it when I went for the prayers but after the prayers, it was no longer on me, despite the safety clasp. My sisters and I searched the temple grounds but to no avail.

Today is my mother's death anniversary. My beautiful jade pendant is missing. This pendant is very special to me because my mother had selected the jade and she designed the diamond setting for it. The chain is a white gold chain of Italian design. I had this pendant for more than 40 years and now it is gone. I mourn its loss for it is irreplaceable. It is a precious link to my mum as we had gone to the goldsmith's together, an outing that we both enjoyed whenever I went home from the Land below the Wind.

Perhaps it has gone to join the gold bangle. It is a very strange coincidence that two pieces of my favoured jewellery disappeared on the death anniversaries of my parents.
Coincidence?SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: