Sunday, March 29, 2009

How goes it?

These are days of excitement depending on how you view things.

Politics is a favourite subject in coffee shops, school carpark waiting areas and emails. Umno, the main partner in the coalition of Barisan National has completed its party elections which had been postponed from last year to this year in view of the impending transition of power to the next Umno president. The newsmedia had been reporting pre and post election news. Now that all these are behind us, let us hope that things will change for the better as the outgoing PM has reiterated that there must be change for a better tomorrow. I hope this will take root and that things will really change.

Sabah is pretty laid back compared to the bustling Peninsular states. However the absence of the "rush, rush everywhere" syndrome makes life more tolerable although there has been tremendous traffic jams of late, especially during peak hours, though not to the degree which KLites experience day after day. Nonetheless, what has been affecting the world, the term I believe, is 'global meltdown', has not really hit us squarely between the eyes yet. There have been reports of thousands who have been left jobless due to factory shutdowns and downsizing of organisations. For these people, life is a big question mark. How are they going to survive and put food on the table for their families?

The government is trying to find jobs for them through various means but it will not be able to cater to everyone's needs. Other countries are much worse off. How bad is it going to get? This is anyone's guess.

For those who have retired, life will be more of the same. There is no rush, no need to fight the traffic to get to the office. I get up early to go to the golf course for my morning exercise round of nine holes, then back home for a spot of gardening before starting the preparations for dinner that evening. The weather has been so terribly hot these days that I'm seriously considering cooking lunch so that there's no need to go out. The sun's heat is blistering and there is a tinge of blackness on your cheeks, should your skin be exposed even for just a short while.

A housewife's job is never done. I find myself on my feet most of the day and it is more often than not, that I can go online only after dinner. Having a maid is a luxury, and good ones are hard to come by. From past experience, it is the maid who interviews you and not vice versa. A room, a tv, a fan, telephone facilities, a washing machine, these are pre-requisites. The size of the house and the number of people living in it, whether you work ( better that the boss works so that there is no one to monitor the work ) also matter. Refusal to do things the way you want them to be done, the rude repartees, the banging of pots and pans, these are sufficient to put you off them permanently. I'm not complaining 'cos I'm back to being my own boss in my house. I no longer hear my pots and pans being banged about and I can talk to my plants and flowers without being looked at as if I'm cuckoo. I'm happy as I am, with friends to email to, with smses coming in, and the songs on the radio to keep me company until we go to fetch our grandkids from school. So life for me is good and I'm thankful for God's blessings.

For those who are still looking for jobs, maybe it is time to try out self-employment. Work for oneself even though it is hard work and altogether a different experience from what one has been accustomed to. This is where creativity comes in. It is always prudent to start small and work from there. If you find that what you do is successful, then you can think further of expansion.

Otherwise there are other sectors which still need workers although these may not be what you want. However having a job is still better than none. A smaller wage is better than no wage at all. Money means food on the table. Plantation, construction, services such as waitressing, etc are an honest day's work. Once you have a job, things can only get better, and that's what one needs in these trying times. Or if you are good at cooking, you can start a catering business from home. You cook and you deliver. You can stick to catering for lunch at first. Or you can make local foodstuff such as nasi lemak, kuih-muih ( cakes & pastries ) and sell to friends and friends of friends, office people, neighbours. Such businesses usually take off by word of mouth and recommendations. I've also seen enterprising women and men going round to the hospitals to sell their foodstuff to those waiting to see the doctors. Waiting at hospitals can take a few hours and snacks are very welcome.

Whatever one's situation is, I believe that it is up to us to take action if we want to change it. Nothing comes with nothing done. Lending a hand to those in need is a good starting point. Cheers!




How goes it?SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: