Friday, March 19, 2010

Brother Peter Phelan -"Miss Me But Let Me Go"

The day that a requiem mass for the late Bro Peter was held in the Stella Maris Church in Kota Kinabalu, I was en route home from Hong Kong. Thus I missed attending the mass. However a dear friend kept a copy of "Down Memory Lane with Bro Peter Phelan" for me and I would like to share some of the contents with all the old boys and friends who did not have the opportunity to see him or say goodbye to him.

Bro Peter was born in 1934 and came out to the Far East at the age of 20 in 1954. His first posting was Hong Kong. In 1963 he was transferred to La Salle, Kota Kinabalu to teach and he taught Geography.

When he retired, he taught for a year in a private school in Keningau before he founded the hostel Butitin in Nabawan, in the interior of Sabah. In the words of Bro Charles O'Leary, " he inherited nothing but shacks in Nabawan but when he left, he left the place a mini Educational Complex bordering the jungle and equipped with up-to-date modern buildings, dormitories for boys and girls, study rooms, computer rooms. The complex now houses, feeds and cares for some 70 boys and girls, mostly from the Murut community."

The poem, written by Bro Peter was found in his bedroom desk drawer and I would like to share it with all of you. Even as he knew his time was limited, he was still selfless and thought about those he would leave behind. This is his final poignant message to all of us who knew him.

Miss Me But Let Me Go

When I come to the end of the road,
And the sun has set for me,
I want no rites in a gloom-filled room,
Why cry for a soul set free?

Miss me a little but not too long.
And not with your head bowed low
Remember the love that we once shared,
Miss me but let me go.

For this is a journey we all must take,
And each must go alone,
It's all a part of the Master's plan,
A step on the road to home.

When you are lonely and sick at heart,
Go to the friends we know,
And bury your sorrow in doing good deeds,
Miss me but let me go.



Let us hold to his words of wisdom and remember him for the kind and caring person that he was. He would have been 76 on March 31st.

Adieu Bro Peter. You have run the race and finished the oourse. Rest in peace.
Brother Peter Phelan -"Miss Me But Let Me Go"SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing Bro Peter's poem. It sums up all that I (a much younger 1st cousin) remember him as - self-effacing while encouraging others. His example probably played no small part in my becoming a teaching missionary. I have even met a student here (studying Japanese language) who had been a pupil at his school. Small world!
Ar dheis De' go raith a anam (Irish: May his soul be at God's right hand).
Walter Dunphy, SVD,
Nanzan University,
Nagoya, Japan.

Swinging By said...

Thank you for your comment. Bro Peter was truly an inspiring mentor.

Anonymous said...

i am on of the ex boarder of butitin hostel, i have been with brother peter since I was a Kid..I miss him so much..he is the best teacher i ever had, the best person i ever meet..he is everything..i remember one words he said to us..follow up..thanks brother..

Swinging By said...

Hi,
Yes, he's the BEST. Whatever we set out to do we must follow it through in order to succeed. Bless you for your sharing. I'm sure Brother's spirit is with all of you, especially those whom he looked after in Butitin Hostel. He had so much love to give.

Anonymous said...

Bro.Peter indeed had a very big influence in my life..I was his ex student in St.martin for 5 years..i learnt punctuality, humility and love for teaching from him. He is the best teacher i've ever had. yes i miss him but i have to let him go..May his soul rest in peace.