Monday, March 1, 2010

Goodbye Brother Peter


Today there was a short news article about the passing of a La Salle Brother, Peter Phelan.

It was only yesterday while we were having tea that my good friend informed me that Bro Peter who had been our colleague as well as school principal for a short period in La Salle School, Kota Kinabalu, had returned to Ireland because his cancer was terminal and the doctor had said that he was weeks away from death. Having spent the greater part of his life in Sabah, he wanted to die in his homeland.

At that time, we didn’t know that he had actually passed on, a day ago.

According to the press release given by another Brother, Brother Peter was accompanied home to Ireland on 18 Feb and he passed away on 27 Feb.

He was a shy but charming man with grey blue eyes that twinkled when he smiled. He used to teach Geography. A strict disciplinarian, he was always fair in his policies. He didn’t have to raise his voice when angry but his eyes were like chips of ice and he spoke very softly when angered. Nowhere did we see any evidence of the fiery Irish temper.

Nonetheless the naughty boys were afraid of him and gave him the nickname of Kojak, a one-time famous television character, the bald-headed police officer who always got his man. Brother Peter was by no means bald but I guess it was the way he carried himself, a very stern looking man who brooked no nonsense from erstwhile students.

To us teachers, he was a very understanding person, kind and compassionate. All of us had the highest respect for him. He would go out of his way to help if you had a problem. I remember him giving me a lift to the nursery to fetch my little girl and then sending us home when my car was in the workshop. How many school principals will do that? This is just one example of his kindness.

Unfortunately, the hot weather in Kota Kinabalu did not suit him and he developed skin cancer. This did not stop him from continuing his work. He transferred to the interior, to Tambunan where the weather was cooler and suited him better. He was principal of St Martin’s, a La Salle brother school and later went to Nabawan, also in the interior of Sabah where he founded and ran a hostel, La Salle Butitin, for rural students who would otherwise have to walk miles in order to get to school. According to Datuk Brother Charles O’Leary, Bro Peter “fed, boarded and educated hundreds of boys and girls in this deprived area in Sabah.”

Bro Peter gave unstintingly of his best to the children and the native community in Sabah and it can be said he gave his life in service of the poor and the under-privileged. I remember him driving down in an old pickup every weekend without fail to get supplies for his “children” in the interior, the journey each way taking many hours of hard driving on unsealed roads as well.

He also did research and authored two books entitled “Headhunting and the Magang Ceremony in Sabah” and “ Traditional Stone and Wood Monuments of Sabah”.

Your life’s work is done, Bro Peter. You are truly a giant among men. You have touched many lives, including mine. Rest in peace and may the Lord bless you and keep you. May his perpetual light shine on you.
Goodbye Brother PeterSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is like a saint walking in our ordinary lives. He chose the name Butitin, which means a Star. Surely, this star will shine brighter in heaven and bear much more fruit on earth. God grant you eternal rest at His loving bosom, Amen.

Anonymous said...

dear peggy,
can i use your story for catholic sabah? let me know asap at catholicsabah2009@gmail.com. thanks. God bless. anna yap

Unknown said...

Hi Peggy,

I posted a comment on your blog regarding your article on Bro. Peter Phelan - not sure if you received it!

I hope you still remember me - I was in La Salle in 1974-75 with others such as Christopher Chin and Janet Chan. And then we were involved in teacher training for the KBSM with Julia Jock Mary Yapp. I live in Cambridge now and work for the Open University. You'll be pleased to know that I did get my PhD in English and Education!

I was shocked and saddened to hear of Brother's passing - he was a lovely and kind man and as you said, very shy too though outwardly stern!

Glad to see you blogging and looking good!

Warmest wishes,
Irene Wong-Gormley
Cambridge
England

Swinging By said...

Hi Irene,

Of course I remember you! How can I forget???
Wd appreciate your email address pls. Pls forward to peggychan78@gmail.com Thanks

Swinging By said...

Hi Anna,

Of course you may. Wish I could attend requien mass for Bro Peter but I wont be in KK on that weekend.

Peggy

Anonymous said...

Hiya, I thought I'd chip in on this one if that's ok.

Only found out this evening about the passing of our dear Bro. Peter. My wife, Alice, broke the news to me saying she'd picked up on it via the online Daily Express. I feel like I'm the last person to know but there you go - better late than never. So I googled to find out more. Now I know that I've well and truly missed the boat - infact by 16 days. To be honest, I reckon I would have flown to Castledown in Ireland for the funeral mass at Monastery Chapel on 1.3.2010. As a La Salle old boy from Sabah I would have tried to attend and pay my last respects. If I should find my way there some time I shall indeed drop in.

I'm so glad to have your blog come up on the search list. I recognised your profile picture immediately. What a pleasant surprise - and you are stunning as ever. How nice .. and I also get to add you to my emailing list.

It was saddening yet lovely to read your blog on 'Goodbye Brother Peter'...most captivating, informative and very much appreciated. Just brilliant I thought of you to put those words together. I shall second that and also bid farewell to a true legend. We are his legacy.

I can remember two one-on-one run-ins with brother and both were on the field fronting the La Salle Junior block. On both occassions he offered some really good advice just for me. He's a great man and we are truly fortunate to have been touched by him.

I'm forgetting my manners. I should have intro'd myself at the outset. Anyways, without further suspense (hope you're not surprised or shocked), it's your ole student here
Adrian as in apragas@gmail.com. Am counting on you to remember. Clue - Not so long ago (couple of years back maybe) we did speak on skype during a class reuniuon do. Thanks again Mrs. Chan for sharing your random thoughts (or not so random thoughts).

Cheers and God bless Teacher,
aDe

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

When I think of Brother Peter, in my mind's eye, I see a very kind man, a man contented with his lot, a man who cared about those around him, a humble man who made an extraordinary difference in the lives of many by doing the most ordinary things with sincerity & fortitude. Indeed, a giant among man.

Maurice Yap

Anonymous said...

My first,face to face, encounter with the giant, Brother Peter was in an afternoon, at our La Salle school padang, 1971. He pointed at a wheel barrow full of mowned grass and told me to do something,but i couldn't understand what he was saying. Guess what? Not knowing what to do,i poured the whole load of grass back to the ground! So stupid of me, right? and asking for trouble! There was a momentary silence and he asked me which class i was in..told him Bridge class..he said softly,go.. that i understood, ha ha.. Definitely he was fair,gentle and cool..and i like to think that he has moved on to a better place with God.

Chai Fui Ming

Anonymous said...

Hi Peggy. Is this the article you want to share with me about "Good Bye Brother Peter....." Its really a moving memorie lance back to life.

After having read your article it brought me back sweet memories of him when he was my Geography teacher, as Scout Master that led us La Salle Scout Group to go camping at Sungai Padang, Papar during school holidays.

It was really very interesting outing where we put up our maim camp with smaller tents spread out on an open flat greeny ground which was very close the Sungai Padang where we got our water.

As usual the smaller boys were asked to collect woods around the area as firewood for our cookings. We all had wonderful and lovely night sleep on our 1st night there.

Do you know what!!! Early next morning there were big crowds coming to our camp site and went round and looking at especially the few make-shift scout's way of fire flaces where cooking were done before the night fall.

The late Brother Peter was the Scouter In-Charge and he was approched by one of crowd member. I remembered Brother Peter asked one of the Senior Scout to look for Datuk Mohd. Noor, who was the ADO then. Few hours latter we were asked to break camp and moved to school's compound.

To our suppress the ground where we had put up our camp was the muslim's community common burial ground and the woods used as firewoods were the graveyard markers.

Luckly no harm befall to the scouts as I gussed Datuk Mohd Noor was able to settle the matter.

What I would like to high-light here was how Brother Peter showed his responsibilty entrusted him by the parents scouts no harm would happen to their children what ever happened. Brother Peter was not well and even before leaving for the camping in Papar, especially that morning he was heavily down with high fever because one could see his health but he refused to leave the camp even for just one minute to seek for medical treatment.

There are few more interesting memories of him I like to share if you ever like to write about Brother Peter again, Peggy.

I felt very sad that I was not able to attend his Requiem Mass at Stella Maris Church as I had a pre-arranged medical review.