Sunday, April 25, 2010

What a Shame!


I took a morning flight to Kuala Lumpur today flying AirAsia.

It was a good flight, uneventful. We took off earlier than scheduled and arrived, as the air stewardess gleefully announced twenty minutes ahead of schedule.

The downside of travelling by AirAsia is that you land at the LCCT ( Low Cost Carrier Terminal ) and you have to board a bus to go to Sentral, the main railway terminal in Kuala Lumpur. There is no train service from the LCCT to Sentral.
The bus service is SkyBus, a red bus which I believe belongs to AirAsia or is in jointventure with the airline as tickets are sold inflight and you can also purchase a bus ticket when you purchase your airticket online.

When I reached the bus, the luggage compartment was open and the staff all dressed in red as are Air Asia employees, sat there without offering a hand to put your luggage into the bus luggage hold. So I pulled my bag over to the young Indian man and handed the bag to him. He stared hard at me before he finally put my bag into the hold. I requested that he put it in the front area so that I could get it easily when the bus arrives in Sentral. He refused. A young Malay man, another member of staff then took out my bag and put it in the front area. The Indian guy was angry and said my bag will drop out when the luggage hold is opened. I told him not to speak like that and boarded the bus.

When the bus arrived in Sentral and the passengers got down, they took out their own bags but I couldn't find my bag where it had been loaded. I peered into the bus and saw it stuffed in the far end in a dark corner. So I approached a staff member and asked for his help. He said it is not for him to help me. I should ask the driver. THe driver was seated in the bus. He wouldn't budge. There was no way I, a 67 year old woman could climb into the hold and go right inside to the dark corner to pull out my bag. It really made me wonder how my bag could have got into that dark place.
However, that's a no-brainer.

A kind Chinese man, in his fifties, then said he would get my bag for me and he crawled inside and retrieved it. Mine was the last bag out after this kind gentleman got it for me.

This is not the first time that the SkyBus staff are very unhelpful and unfriendly. They will shout and solicit for your patronage but once you arrive at your destination,whether it's from Sentral to the LCCT or vice versa, they don't care a hoot. You jolly well get your bag out yourself. This happened every time my spouse and I travelled on the Skybus. He is hitting 70 years of age, white-haired and with a bad back. Yet he had to bend into the luggage hold to get our bags. He even hit his head when he dragged our bags out. The red uniformed young Indian Skybus staff couldn't care a damn.

I wrote in to Air Asia a few months ago to inform them of this very unsatisfactory service but was not favoured with a reply.

In other countries, this kind of thing does not happen. Whether it is the bus driver or another member of staff, they would unload the bags and the passengers just have to pick up their bags and go their separate ways.

However in Malaysia, I'm most ashamed to say, this is not the case. The young here especially those working for this bus company Skybus, have no respect for the elderly and they are very uncouth and rude as well.

This is a very ugly side of Malaysia, where you have ugly young Malaysians.
What a Shame!SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments: